15 Jul 10 Tips for Portion Control
One of the most popular diet hooks is “Eat as much as you want and STILL lose weight!” Some give you a list of “allowed” foods, some give you certain periods of the day where you can eat whatever you want, and some even send the food right to you!
If you’re looking to make significant, lasting progress though, none of that is going to do you any good. The purpose of any fitness program should not only be to get healthy or lose weight, but to develop stronger self-control and practice greater mindfulness with portion control.
This can be a challenging process though, and it’s hard to start controlling your appetite.
Here are 10 Portion Control tips that will definitely help.
- Always eat on a plate! And fill up first with veggies and greens. Use utensils, sit down, and enjoy your meal on a plate or in a bowl.
- Use your food scale and measuring cups/spoons! These tools measure your portions to be EXACTLY what you need in weight and size.
- Do not nibble or constantly taste while you cook.
- Stop snacking mindlessly! Snacks should not exceed 250 calories or you should consider them meals.
- Choose more filling foods when snacking. If you eat a fruit or veggie, pair it with a healthy fat or protein if permitted during your program.
- Do not leave food or snacks out. Always keep healthy choices in sight.
- When out to eat, ask for the to-go bag right when you order so that you do not overeat and can save half of your meal for later. We typically get served 3-4x what we really need.
- Slow down, savor every taste, and sip water in between bites. This will help you enjoy the food and be more aware of what you eat.
- Turn off the TV while eating. You may eat more without even realizing it.
- Cue your taste buds to stop eating. Drink some tea, chew some gum, brush your teeth. Get your brain off food and distract yourself by doing something resourceful (like exercising, reading a book, journaling, etc.)