02 Aug Bonfire Meatballs
Posted at 23:20h in Dressings/Sauces/Dips, Phase One Recipes, Sauces/Dressings 0 Comments
Makes 24 meatballs
- 1 medium brown onion (100 g/ 3.5 oz)
- 1 garlic clove
- 16 oz. ground beef (97% lean)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp freshly chopped oregano
- 1 tbsp freshly chopped thyme
- ½ medium zucchini, grated (100 g/ 3.5 oz)
- 1 tsp fresh lemon zest
- 1 small hot chili pepper, or to taste (7 g/ 0.3 oz)
- ⅛ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp cracked black pepper
- Olive oil spray
- ½ small red onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes (no sugar added, Roma)
- 1 ¼ cups chicken or veggie stock (homemade, low-sodium)
- ½ small hot chile pepper , optional
- 1 tbsp tomato paste (no sugar added)
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos (15 ml)
- 1 cinnamon stick or 1/3 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- Pinch of salt, pink Himalayan or sea salt
- Peel and chop the onion and garlic. Grate the garlic and squeeze out the excess water from the zucchini, either using a muslin cloth or option to simply use your hands.
- Heat a saucepan with olive oil spray. Add the brown onion and sauté on a medium/ low heat for 2 minutes until soft. Add the garlic and fry for 1 further minute. Turn off the heat.
- Remove the stalk and seeds from the chili, finely chop.
- Add the beef, onion and garlic mix, paprika, chopped oregano and thyme leaves, lemon zest (leave a pinch to sprinkle on top at the end), chilli, and a good pinch of salt and pepper to a mixing bowl.
- Mix well and shape into meatballs about 3 cm in diameter to make about 26 meatballs (4 meatballs per serving).
- Peel and chop the red onion and garlic. Remove the stalk and seeds from the pepper and chop into small chunks.
- Add olive oil spray to a pan. Sauté the onion and peppers on a medium-low heat for 1 minute then add the garlic for 1 further minute. Add the tinned chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, coconut aminos, cinnamon stick, white wine vinegar, a pinch of salt and pepper and the chopped chilli. Start with 1 and add more if you prefer it really spicy. Simmer on a medium-low heat for about 30 minutes until it’s a nice thick concentrated sauce.
- Heat olive oil spray in a pan. Add the meatballs and fry for about 10 minutes, turning regularly, until brown and cooked through. Alternatively, you can bake in the oven at 180 C/ 355 F, fan assisted, for about 25 minutes, turning half way through cooking.
- To serve, plate with cauliflower rice and top with the Bonfire Meatballs.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.