13 Aug Cauliflower Tots
- 3 cup + 1/2 cup of grated raw cauliflower/broccoli (430 g raw cauliflower, florets + 180 g raw broccoli florets)
- 1 small onion, peeled, diced
- 4 eggs, whole
- 1 tablespoon dried herbs – (such as mint and basil)
- 1/2 cup flaxseeds, ground
- 1 cup almond flour
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 200 C.
- Prepare a baking tray covered with baking paper. Set aside.
- In a food processor with the S blade attachment, blend on high speed the cauliflower florets, broccoli florets and peeled brown onion until it forms a raw fine vegetable crumb – looks like cauliflower rice. You should obtain 3 cup and 1/2 cup of packed ‘vegetable crumb’.
- Add eggs, flax, flour, herbs, salt and pepper.
- Process again on low speed until combine.
- Transfer into a bowl and using a spatula combine again until it forms a consistent vegetable paste. If too moist add a bit more oat flour until it forms a paste that you can easily hold in your hand to form nuggets, Add extra flour 1 tablespoon at a time if needed.
- Oiled your hands with olive oil and using your hands forms small vegetables nuggets (or balls or any small shapes you enjoy to make and are fun to eat).. If you like you can coat some of them with extra oat flour by rolling them in oat flour into a plate. I tried and it is tasty too while I prefer the uncoated version.
- Place the vegetables nuggets onto a baking tray covered with baking sheet.
- Bake for 25 -35 minutes at 200 c until crispy and golden/brown outside but still moist in the centre.
- Serve hot with dip of your choice or as a side dish with meat or fish. It is also very tasty to eat them at room temperature and they make a lovely addition to your kids lunch box.
- You can also freeze the batter before baking and defrost the day before using.
- This recipe makes about 30 tots.