09 Aug Chicken Stuffed Zucchini Boats
Makes 3 servings | 1 serving = 2 zucchini boat halves | 1 protein, 1 veggie, 1 dairy
- 12 oz. shredded white chicken breast (or you can use very lean ground beef or turkey)
- 3 large zucchini; cut in halves
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped/minced garlic
- 1/3 cup no salt tomato sauce
- Spray olive oil
- PHASE 2: 1/2 cup grated Parmesan (or reduced fat if preferred for your diet)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1/2 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin (optional)
- Sea salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp green onions
- Set oven to 375F.
- Chop the ends off the zucchini, then scrape out the inside where the seeds are using a spoon.
- Set a nonstick skillet on medium heat and spray with olive oil. Add garlic and red onions and cook until the red onion turns brown. Be careful not to burn the garlic in the process.
- Add the shredded chicken breast or ground beef to the skillet and begin to chop it up in the pan using a spatula. Then add the seasonings. Chop and cook until there are no more visible pink (raw) pieces of meat if using beef.
- Add the tomato sauce and stir together. Season to taste with sea salt & pepper, then reduce the heat.
- Place the zucchini boats in a baking dish, add about 3 tablespoons of the meat mixture inside the hollow portions of each zucchini boat. Then top each boat with about 1-2 tablespoons of grated Parmesan. (Do not use cheese in PHASE 1.)
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes at 375F.
- Garnish if you would like and enjoy!