22 Dec Chicken Turmeric Soup
Chicken Turmeric Soup:
- 2 tbsps olive oil, or nonstick spray (Phase 2)
- 3 lbs chicken, breast or ground
- 1 tbsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsps ginger, peeled and minced
- 4 stalks celery, diced into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 small red chili pepper, seeds removed, minced
- 5 cups low sodium vegetable stock/broth
- 1 cup dill, chopped
- 2 limes, quartered (optional)
- 1/2 lb baby kale or baby spinach, preferably organic
- Sea salt and Freshly ground black pepper
- Clean, pat dry, salt and pepper the chicken. In a large pot over medium heat, warm 1/2 tbsp of olive oil. Add chicken in batches, browning each side, approximately 5-8 minutes a side. Add more oil as needed between each batch. Chicken will not be cooked through. Remove chicken from pot, leaving the brown bits.
- Add another 1/2 tbsp of olive oil to the pan. Add the turmeric and oregano and stir, scrapping up the brown bits with a wooden spoon.
- Once the spices are toasted, about 1 minute, stir in the onion, garlic, ginger, celery, and chili pepper.
- Coat vegetables with spice mixture and sauté until onion is translucent, about 8 minutes.
- Pour in vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer and slowly add the chicken.
- Cover pot and simmer for at least an 1 hour and 1/2. When the soup is nearly done, shred any pieces of chicken that may have not fallen apart naturally.
- To serve, add a handful of kale or spinach to each bowl. Spoon soup over greens to wilt. Finish each bowl with a squirt of lime and a generous sprinkling of dill (optional).
Photo/Recipe by: crunchyradish.com