16 Sep Enjoy Great Heart and Bone Health With the Help of Fish Oil Supplements
You may have heard that fish oil supplements offer many benefits to the heart, but are you aware of why and how fish oil is such a heart-healthy option to add to your diet? Here is a look at some of the specific benefits that fish oil supplements have to offer to the heart.
Reducing Risks of Heart Disease
With heart disease being the leading cause of death throughout the world, finding ways to reduce your risk is essential. Studies have shown that people who eat a lot of fish have reduced rates of heart disease. Some ways eating fish or taking fish oil supplements can help to reduce your risk of heart disease include:
- Increasing the level of the “good” HDL cholesterol in your blood.
- Lowering triglycerides by anywhere from 15 to 30 percent.
- Reducing blood pressure in people with elevated blood pressure levels.
- Preventing the development of plaque, which causes the arteries to harden.
- Making arterial plaque more stable and safer in those who have already developed plaque.
- Reducing fatal arrhythmia events in people who are at risk to experience these abnormal heart rhythms, which can cause heart attacks in certain cases.
Improving Bone Health
There is also a wealth of research to show that taking fish oil supplements may help to improve bone healthy. As your grow older, your bones begin to lose their essential minerals. In turn, this makes your bones more likely to break and can also lead to certain conditions such as osteoporosis and osteoarthritis.
While it is well known that calcium and vitamin D are essential for bone health, many fail to realize that omega-3 fatty acids may also be beneficial. In fact, research has found that people with higher omega-3 intakes and blood levels may actually have better bone mineral density. Several small studies have suggested that fish oil supplements and the omega-3 that is contained within them help to reduce markers of bone breakdown, which may then help to prevent bone disease.