16 Aug Homemade Pesto
Makes several servings | 1 serving = 1 tbsp | 1 fat, 1/2 vegetable
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed (can sub half the basil leaves with baby spinach)
- 1/3 cup freshly grated low fat Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (about 3 teaspoons)
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Place the basil leaves and pine nuts into the bowl of a food processor and pulse a several times.
- Add the garlic and Parmesan cheese and pulse several times more. Scrape down the sides of the food processor with a rubber spatula.
- While the food processor is running, SLOWLY add the olive oil in a steady small stream. (Adding the olive oil slowly, while the processor is running, will help it emulsify and help keep the olive oil from separating.) Occasionally stop to scrape down the sides of the food processor.
- Stir in a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Pair with fish or on cauliflower wraps.