07 Jul Lightened Up Chicken Salad
Lightened Up Chicken Salad
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced into bite-sized pieces (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- pinch of salt, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, or to taste
- 3/4 cup plain, non-fat Greek yogurt (0% fat Fage or Siggi)
- 1/2 cup celery (1 large stalk), diced small
- 1/2 cup green onions, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup green apple, peeled and diced small, optional for fruit permitted
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf Italian parsley leaves, chopped finely
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. dry ground yellow mustard
- To a large skillet, add olive oil, chicken, evenly sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and cook over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes, flipping intermittently so all sides cook evenly. Cooking time will vary based on thickness of chicken breasts and sizes of pieces. Allow to rest in pan while you dice and prepare the remaining ingredients.
- To a large bowl, add the yogurt, celery, green onions, optional apple, almonds, parsley, lemon juice, garlic powder, dry mustard, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and stir well to combine.
- Add the chicken and stir to combine. Taste, season with salt and pepper if desired.
- Dish can be served warm immediately, but I prefer it as cold chicken salad. Cover, chill for at least 3 hours, or until sufficiently chilled. The yogurt coating mixture firms up as the salad chills and the chicken absorbs it. When ready to serve, divide chicken salad evenly onto toasted bagels, and serve. Chicken salad will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 3 days and I find it tastes better the day after making it because the flavors marinate.
-Makes multiple servings (1 serving= 1 cup)