15 Aug Peanut Butter and Jelly Quinoa Muffins
Makes 8 muffins | 1 serving = 1 muffin | 1 carb, 1 fruit
- 1 – 1 1/4 cup strawberries, diced
- 2/3 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- Pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup quinoa, uncooked
- ¼ cup natural peanut butter
- 4 egg whites (3/4 cup cage-free liquid egg whites)
- 1 whole egg
- ¼ cup raw almonds, slivered
- 1 dropper liquid stevia (mixed berry-optional)
- Preheat your oven to 450, line a baking sheet with parchment paper and generously spray a muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray.
- Toss your strawberries and liquid stevia into a blender, and mix until it becomes a jelly-like texture.
- In a large pot, bring the almond milk and a pinch of salt to a boil. Stir the quinoa into the boiling milk. Cover the pot and cook on low heat until most of the milk is absorbed, about 20-25 minutes.
- Place the peanut butter into a large bowl and microwave for 1 minute, until it melts. Stir in the “jelly mixture” and the cooked quinoa until well mixed.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the egg whites and egg and pour into the quinoa mixture, stirring until the quinoa begins to absorb the egg.
- Fill 8 of the muffin tins 1/2 of the way full. Cover with the remaining quinoa mixture, and sprinkle with the almonds. Bake until the quinoa appears set and begins to pull away from the sides of the muffin tin, about 20-25 minutes.
- Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack to finish cooling.