02 Aug Phase 3 Slower Cooker Chicken Quinoa
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 1 lb raw chicken breast, boneless, skinless, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 5 cups low-sodium organic chicken broth , divided use
- 2 cups water
- 4 cloves garlic , finely chopped
- 1 tsp. dried basil (or chives or parsley)
- Sea salt (or Himalayan salt) and ground black pepper (to taste; optional)
- 6 tsp. prepared pesto sauce
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 cup shredded (or grated) carrots
- 1 bunch asparagus, cut into bite-sized pieces (about 2 cups)
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Place quinoa, chicken, 4 cups broth, garlic, and basil in a 3-quart slow cooker. Season with salt and pepper if desired. Mix well and cover; cook on low for 3 to 3½ hours, or until chicken is not pink and quinoa is tender. The mixture will be very thick and sticky.
Remove lid. Add remaining 1 cups broth and 2 cups water, (1 cup at a time), until mixture resembles the consistency of risotto. You may not need to add all of the broth.
Add pesto sauce, and lemon juice; mix well and cover. Set aside.
Heat oil in medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
Add carrots; cook, stirring frequently, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until carrots are tender-crisp.
Add asparagus; cook, stirring frequently, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until asparagus is tender-crisp.
Fold carrot mixture into quinoa mixture; mix well.
Top each serving with 1 Tbsp. cheese.