03 Aug Phase Three White Bean and Spinach Soup
- 1/4 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil (or spray) (PHASE 2)
- 3 small leek bulbs, outer layers removed, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 (28-ounce) can low-sodium diced tomatoes (no sugar added)
- 1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained (PHASE 3)
- 10 ounces (1 1/2 cups) fresh baby spinach (baby kale works too)
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth (homemade is best)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a Dutch oven or large oven-safe pot, heat the oil (or use nonstick oil spray) over medium-high heat.
- Add the leek, onion, 1/2 teaspoon of the sea salt and the red pepper flakes.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until the onions are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, beans (phase 3), spinach and broth. Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Cover the pan with a tight-fitting lid and transfer to the oven. Cook until the vegetables are tender and the spinach has wilted, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Cook in oven for about 25 minutes and give it a good stir, and then place it back in the oven for 5 more minutes.
- Stir in the other 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt if desired and enjoy!