14 Aug Shrimp Ceviche
- 2 quarts water
- 1/4 cup sea salt or pink Himalayan salt
- 1 pound raw shrimp (21-25 per pound), peeled and deveined
- Juice of 2 lemons
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 cup diced, seeded, peeled cucumber (1/4-inch dice)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 serrano chiles, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 cup diced seeded tomato
- 1 tablespoon roughly chopped cilantro leaves, plus more leaves for garnish
- Combine water and 1/4 cup salt in a large saucepan; bring to a boil over high heat. Add shrimp and immediately turn off the heat. Let the shrimp sit until just cooked through, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board until cool enough to handle, about 10 minutes.
- Chop the shrimp into 1/2-inch pieces and place in a medium nonreactive bowl. Add lemon and lime juice. Stir in cucumber, onion and chiles. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Stir tomato, chopped cilantro, and pinch of salt into shrimp mixture. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving. Garnish with cilantro leaves. Enjoy!