01 Aug Slow Cooker Keto Breakfast Casserole
Makes 4 servings.
- 6 large eggs OR 2 large eggs + 4 egg whites
- 3 large bacon slices (90 g/ 3.2 oz) (low-sodium Canadian or Turkey bacon)
- 3 tbsp chopped shallots (30 g/ 1.1 oz)
- ½ cup chopped bell pepper
- 3/4 cup chopped crimini mushrooms (70 g/ 2.5 oz)
- 1 cup baby kale or spinach or 8 large chard leaves
- 1 tsp. butter or ghee (15 g/ 0.5 oz)
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese (90 g/ 3.2 oz)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional: serve sliced avocado dressed in extra virgin olive oil
- Cook the bacon until crispy and then add the bell pepper, mushroom and shallot. Sautee until just softened.
- Add the kale and turn off the heat to allow kale to wilt but not cook.
- Beat the eggs with salt and pepper until well combined.
- Turn the slow cooker on to high and place the butter in to melt. Once melted, brush the inside of the slow cooker with the melted butter.
- Place the sautéed vegetables into the base of the slow cooker.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the vegetables and then pour the egg mixture in on top.
- Stir through and then cook on high for approx. 1.5 hours, or on low for approx. 6 hours. These times can vary wildly depending on the size, model and age of your slow cooker so I would recommend doing a test batch to determine your cooking time.
- Enjoy with sliced avocado and leafy greens, or let it cool down. Leftovers can be stored covered in the refrigerator for 2 days.