13 Jan Spicy Turkey & Winter Squash Chili
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 red onion, peeled & chopped
- 1 small butternut squash
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely minced
- 1-8oz can tomato sauce
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1-15oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 Tbs chili powder (or more to taste)
- 2 Tbs ground cumin
- 2 tsp crushed red pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- olive oil for cooking
- Begin by prepping all your veggies – red onion, garlic, zucchini, and butternut squash. If you’ve never chopped a squash, check out the tutorial in this post.
- Place a large, heavy bottomed pot over medium-high heat and add 1 tablespoon olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the onion, butternut squash to the pan until the veggies have started to soften about 6 minutes.
- Add the turkey, and cook for an additional 5 minutes until almost cooking through.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, garlic, crushed red pepper and zucchini and cook for a few more minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the beans, broth, tomato sauce and bring it to a boil. Lower the heat to medium-low and cook gently for about 15 minutes.
- Check for seasoning, adding more chili powder and salt as needed