16 Aug Stuffed Green Bell Peppers
Makes 6 servings | 1 serving = 1 pepper | 1 vegetable, 1 protein
- 6 green bell peppers, tops cut away and seeds removed
- 1 cup onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup green bell peppers, finely chopped
- 1/2 lb very lean ground beef
- 1/2 lb very lean ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 8 ounces homemade tomato sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large pot of boiling water, parboil the peppers until just tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and dry on paper towels.
- In a large saute pan or skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and chopped bell peppers and cook, stirring, until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add the meat, garlic, parsley, salt, black pepper, and pepper flakes.
- Cook until the meat is browned, stirring with a heavy wooden spoon to break up the lumps, about 6 minutes. Add the tomato sauce and stir well. Remove from the heat and adjust the seasoning, to taste.
- Pour enough water into a baking dish to just cover the bottom, about 1/8-inch deep.
- Stuff the bell peppers with the meat mixture and place in the baking dish. Bake until the peppers are very tender and the filling is heated through (25 minutes).
- Remove from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes before serving!