16 Jun Stuffed Green Bell Peppers
Stuffed Green Bell Pepper:
6 green bell peppers, tops cut away and seeds removed
1 cup onions, finely chopped
1/2 cup green bell peppers, finely chopped
1/2 lb. very lean ground beef
1/2 lb. very lean ground turkey
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
Pinch red pepper flakes
8 ounces homemade tomato sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large pot of boiling water, parboil the peppers until just tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and dry on paper towels.
- In a large saute pan or skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and chopped bell peppers and cook, stirring, until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add the meat, garlic, parsley, salt, black pepper, and pepper flakes.
- Cook until the meat is browned, stirring with a heavy wooden spoon to break up the lumps, about 6 minutes. Add the tomato sauce and stir well. Remove from the heat and adjust the seasoning, to taste.
- Pour enough water into a baking dish to just cover the bottom, about 1/8-inch deep.
- Stuff the bell peppers with the meat mixture and place in the baking dish. Bake until the peppers are very tender and the filling is heated through (25 minutes).
- Remove from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes before serving!
-Makes 6 servings (1 serving= 1 pepper; 1 Vegetable & 1 Protein)
Phase 2: Add Cheese