01 Mar Turkey Stuffed Bell Pepper
Turkey Stuffed Bell Pepper:
- 1 lb 96% lean ground turkey (white meat)
- 1 garlic, minced
- 1/4 onion, minced
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- sea salt, to taste
- 3 large green bell peppers, washed
- 1 cup fat free chicken broth, low sodium
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce or paste, no sugar added
- 1 1/2 cups cooked cauliflower rice
- Olive oil spray
1. Steam cauliflower and add them to a food processor until a rice like texture.
2. Heat oven to 400°. Spray a little olive oil spray in a medium size saute pan and heat on a medium flame.
3. Add onion, garlic and cilantro to the pan. Saute about 2 minutes and add ground turkey. Season with salt and garlic powder, and cumin and brown meat for several minutes until meat is completely cooked through.
4. Add 1/4 cup of tomato sauce and 1/2 cup of chicken broth, mix well and simmer on low for about 5 minutes. Combine cooked cauliflower rice and meat together.
5. Cut the bell peppers in half lengthwise, and remove all seeds. Place in a baking dish.
6. Spoon the meat mixture into each pepper half and fill it with as much as you can.
7. Place all stuffed pepper halves on the baking dish and pour the remainder of the chicken broth on the bottom of the pan.
8. Cover tight with aluminum foil and bake for about 35 minutes.
-Makes multiple servings
(Add 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese for Phase 2: optional)